Monday, November 10, 2008

That's My Homo Sapien!

leaving for africa in 12 hours. going to the place where it/we all began. kind of overwhelming to think about all that history. I bought a very large book with very small type that will guide me through it. the flight over is twenty-some hours, so I will have plenty of time to pretend to read it.

I need to pack now.

the plan is this: land in kilimanjaro (tanzania, bitches!), do a week-long safari in the serengeti, then over to zanzibar for a little weekend r&r on the beach before we fly to rwanda to meet with the people from the foundation. after we do a trek into volcans national park to hang out with the mountain gorillas, we'll drive to the imbabazi orphanage where we'll spend a week with the kids, taking photos, videos, and such. then it's off to gisenyi, a resort town on lake kivu for a day or two to discuss the plan of attack for the website and fundraising efforts with the foundation people, then back to kigali, rwanda's capital city, where we'll figure out what we want to do with our three or four free days before we fly back to america.

not sure what the internet situation will be like over there, but will try to blog when I can so you guys can follow my adventures and be reassured that I'm not dead.

gonna go get me some africa, y'all.

p

3 comments:

Papa G Films said...

I will be very disappointed if you don't pee in Africa. But I have a feeling that's going to happen sooner or later. Von Voyage you guys!

-Insung

Bob said...

Sarah Palin told me that Africa is a beautiful country. Watch out for the tse-tse flies, sis. Oh, and make sure you help her up if Victoria Falls. If you meet a guy in 19th century British clothing, it's probably Dr. Livingston...I presume. And make sure you have a flashlight...I hear Africa is a dark continent.

Alright, I'm out of stupid Africa jokes.

Have fun you two!!

B

Paris Lia said...

Patty, Happy Thanksgiving, my friend! Miss you lots and thinking about you today. Do African turkeys have the same level of tryptophan as American turkeys??

Hope you're safe and having tons of fun. DON'T FEED ANYTHING THAT'S BIGGER THAN YOU!

Love lots,

Par